10th Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association
Brighton, United Kingdom
September 6-10, 2009
The KlattGrid Speech Synthesizer
University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
We present a new speech synthesizer class, named KlattGrid, for
the Praat program . This synthesizer is based on the original description
of Klatt [1, 2]. New aspects of a KlattGrid in comparison
with other Klatt-type synthesizers are that a KlattGrid
- is not frame-based but time-based. You specify parameters
as a function of time with any precision you like.
- has no limitations on the number of oral formants, nasal
formants, nasal antiformants, tracheal formants or tracheal
antiformants that can be defined.
- has separate formants for the frication part.
- allows varying the form of the glottal flow function as a function
- allows for any number of formants and bandwidths to be
modified during the open phase of the glottis.
- uses no beforehand quantization of amplitude parameters.
- is fully integrated into the freely available speech analysis
program Praat .
- Klatt, D.H. and Klatt, L.C., “Analysis, synthesis, and perception
of voice quality variations among female and male talkers”, J.
Acoust. Soc. Am., 87:820–857, 1990.
- Klatt, D.H.,“Software for a cascade/parallel formant synthesizer”,
J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 67:971–995, 1980.
- Boersma, P. and Weenink, D., “Praat: doing phonetics
by computer (Version 5.1.07), [Computer program]”,
Weenink, David (2009):
"The klattgrid speech synthesizer",
In INTERSPEECH-2009, 2059-2062.