ISCA Special Interest Group: Iberian Languages (IL-SIG)
Click here to visit the SIG website!
Aims. The purpose of the International Speech Communication Association (ISCA) Special Interest Group on Iberian Languages (SIG-IL) is: (a) to promote research activities and research interests in Iberian Languages; (b) to provide members of ISCA with special interests in Iberian Languages with a means of exchanging recent research developments and experiences; (c) to sponsor and/or organise meetings, workshops and other events on Iberian Languages and Speech Research that appear to be timely and worthwhile, operating within the framework of ISCA’s by-laws for SIGs; and, (d) when possible, to make available resources relevant to research on Iberian Languages, including the host of a web site containing relevant information on Iberian Languages resources, such as links to text and speech corpora, analysis tools, research papers & organizations.
Motivation. The community working on speech science and technology in Portuguese and Spanish speaking countries has already reached world class level in many areas and has continuously increased in size for the last 15 years. In September 2005, a significant number of researchers from this community got together in Lisbon, during Interspeech 2005, to discuss the creation of a Special Interest Group in the framework of the International Speech Communication Association (ISCA). The idea of having a SIG to promote the advance of speech science and technology in these Iberian languages was promptly accepted and nowadays the SIG already has members from 11 countries from 3 continents.
Board. The current SIG officers are:
- Vice-Chairman: Juan Arturo Nolazco Flores (Technological University of Monterrey, Mexico)
- Secretary: Aldebaro Klautau (Feral University of Pará, Brazil)
- ISCA Liaison officier: Rubén San-Segundo Hernández (Polytechnical University of Madrid, Spain)
SIG-IL endorses several events, notably two series of conferences.
iberSpeech is organized jointly by SIG-IL and the Spanish Network on Speech Technologies:
- iberSpeech 2014, in Las Palmas, Spain
- iberSpeech 2012 (Joint VII Jornadas en Tecnología del Habla and III Iberian SLTech Workshop), Madrid, Spain, 21-23th November, 2012
PROPOR (International Conference on Computational Processing of Portuguese) is as series of conferences regarding Processing of Portuguese:
- PROPOR 2014, São Paulo, Brazil
- PROPOR 2012, Coimbra, Portugal, April 27-20th, 2012
- PROPOR 2010, Porto Alegre, Brazil, April 27-30th, 2010
- PROPOR 2008, Aveiro, Portugal, September 8-10, 2008
SIG-IL also supports several other events:
- FALA 2010 (VI Jornadas en Tecnología del Habla" and II Iberian SLTech Workshop), Vigo, Spain, 10-12 November, 2010
- Joint SIG-IL/Microsoft Workshop on Speech and Language Technologies for the Iberian Languages Porto Salvo, Portugal 3-4 September 2009
- The 7th Brazilian Symposium in Information and Human Language Technology, São Carlos, Brazil, September 7-11, 2009
- XXVII Simpósio Brasileiro de Telecomunicações (SBrT 2009), Blumenau, Brazil, September 29-October 2, 2009
- Speech Prosody 2008 , Campinas-São Paulo, Brazil, May 6-9, 2008