ISCA Supported Workshops and Events
ISCA encourages different types of events, with different levels of support depending on the type of event:
- ISCA Tutorial and Research Workshops (ITRWs)
- ISCA Sponsored Events
- ISCA Supported Events
- Other Speech Communication Related Events
- For training schools see the specific CfP
ISCA Tutorial and Research Workshops (ITRWs) are typically one-off events that may later lead to the foundation of a Special Interest Group (ISCA-SIG) in a new or emerging area of speech-related research. ITRWs are usually held in a remote location where up to 80 participants can come together in relative isolation from outside influences to learn about the latest developments in frontier science. The typical location might be a monastery or off-season ski-lodge, for example. A feature of these events is that experts from outside fields are invited as guest lecturers to present intense training or tutorials in aspects of science not generally covered by current speech technology. Participants are encouraged to take an active role in group-based work designed to relate these fields to future speech technology trends.
ISCA Sponsored Events are usually SIG-related and take the form of workshops, often affiliated to larger conferences. They typically vary in size from 80 to 120 members and aim to bring together researchers from a well-defined community in order to present latest results and findings in a form that is not as formal as a conference. These are events where novel ideas can be discussed and negative results can be presented as the focus of an intense discussion.
ISCA Supported Events are workshops that may be organised by any related organisation or individual but which overlap in interest with the interests of the ISCA community. ISCA offers recognition of these events and advertises them on its web pages, but limits its financial support and does not impose strict conditions with respect to membership of participants or registration fee limits.
ISCA also encourages other science and technology oriented events related to speech communication without being able to offer specific support.
ISCA offers the following services for ITRWs and Sponsored Workshops:
* financial support
- NEW: we do have a limited budget to sponsor invited speakers (max one travel grant per event and max 800€ per travel grant). We will favor invited speakers who are not part of speech communication research and who the workshop organizers think it will be a good idea to get their viewpoints on speech science & technology. In brief, talks at the frontiers of speech communication research! These talks should be recorded and will be hosted at the ISCA video archive
- grants for student travel (of up to 600 euro each) can be provided. There is a limit of three grants for ISCA Sponsored Events and one grant for ISCA Supported Events. Standard ISCA grant limitations apply (max 1 grant per individual, and 1 individual per institution per event). See instructions for student grant applications
- registration services can be provided by ISCA (at a cost)
- no seed money is provided by default but can be requested by ITRW organizers in special cases
- the ISCA logo may be displayed on all publications and publicity
- the event will be advertised on the ISCA website
- the event will be promoted through ISCApad
- proceedings of the event will be made available without restriction to anyone as part of the ISCA archives
ISCA expects the following from ITRWs (and Sponsored Events, whenever possible):
- reduced registration fees for ISCA members
- a report on the workshop within one month after the end of the event
- a copy of the proceedings for the archive (abstracts and keywords required for indexing)
- a portion of any profits, to be used for additional grants for subsequent related events
- workshop organizers should be aware of the aspects of self-plagiarism that can arise from publishing similar papers in satellite workshops and conference proceedings
Useful information for workshop organizers:
- download a description of the role of the ISCA Workshop Coordinator
- download the guidelines for ISCA Workshop organizers (including a checklist for future organizers)
- download ISCA logos for publicity purposes
For a list of past ISCA Tutorial and Research Workshops, see the ISCA archive.
Some proceedings and/or CDROMs of ITRWs (and, previously, ETRWs) organized by ISCA are still available and can be ordered from the ISCA Secretariat. Please use the Proceedings/CDROM order form.