INTERSPEECH 2004 - ICSLP
8th International Conference on Spoken Language Processing

Jeju Island, Korea
October 4-8, 2004

Etiology of User Experience with Natural Language Speech

Christopher Pavlovski, Jennifer Lai, Stella Mitchell

IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, USA

This paper outlines the results of commercial field trial of a multimodal (speech and GUI) platform using natural language technologies in a mobile environment. During the trial we compared the user experience of the multimodal interface to the user experience with a comparable application providing only unimodal (GUI) interaction. A key objective of the analysis following the trial was to understand the etiology of the difference in user experience with the two systems. Speech-only usage was used to complete tasks 71% of the time on average across all participants and tasks. The remaining 29% was distributed among GUI-only usage and multimodal usage. These results indicate that for input, the natural language speech was the major contributor to the increased quality of user experience.

Full Paper

Bibliographic reference.  Pavlovski, Christopher / Lai, Jennifer / Mitchell, Stella (2004): "Etiology of user experience with natural language speech", In INTERSPEECH-2004, 2829-2832.